Your following question would probably be – how do I connect to a VPN in Australia? It is much easier than you think. Also, there are several affordable services that let you access blocked sites as well as securely browse the web in Australia.
What Is A VPN?
In case you don’t already know, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a connection method that allows private and secure browsing on the internet. VPN gives you an alternate identity with the help of a software.
The way firewall and anti-viruses protect your computer against intruders, VPN protects your data. VPNs use advanced encryption protocols and secure tunneling techniques to compress all of your online data transfers. This means that your data is hidden and transferred through a different channel so that it cannot be traced back to you.
How Does It Work?
Using a VPN essentially hides your identity. This is what happens when you use a VPN:
- When you go online, your identity is your IP address. Your internet service provider (ISP) has access to this.
- The VPN software on your device creates an IP address for you different from your original one.
- When you connect to the internet, the VPN will redirect your connection to one of their server locations. Your IP address will be replaced with another from one a gateway city.
- You will then be connected to your desired site through that address. In this process, your data is secured.
- In the process, it also happens to help you unblock geo-blocked sites. Geo-blocking is the method of allowing specific content to only be available to specific geographic locations or vice versa. Since a VPN virtually puts you on a different location, it can give you access to sites and content that are not available from your location.
Why Would You Need It?
The protection that a VPN provides helps you stay anonymous. You may not realize this every time you are on the internet, but your information is very valuable. Every time you enter your personal details into a website, third-party businesses are trying to use that information for their benefit. What would they do with your personal information?
VPN encrypts your data before the tunneling process. This means before you are connected to their server, your data is veiled. Some VPN providers also offer an extra layer of security by redirecting your address twice – through two different servers. This is especially helpful if you are using a public network or Wi-Fi.
What Can You Use It For?
A VPN has multiple roles to play. You can use it for several things during your online activities.
- It protects your data on the internet from third-parties.
- If you are working from outside your office, a VPN can let you access your office database with a secure connection.
- It lets you access sites that are blocked in your region.
- You can use it to get access to more content on media streaming sites that have larger collections for other countries.
- You can use it for online shopping, especially, if you are travelling. Using a VPN will let you access your home country’s collection as well as prices.
Connecting to A VPN In Australia
Connecting to a VPN in Australia is not too different from connecting to any other server. It does vary a little depending on your operating system. But you will get separate instructions when you download the application. In most cases these days, they install themselves, so you may not need to manually set it up.
Choosing the Right One
First, you must choose a VPN that serves your needs the best. It will depend on what you use the VPN for. You should at least check out these features:
- Compatibility with the device and operating systems
- Connection speed
- Number of server locations offered
- Activity logging policy
Setting Up A VPN On Your Device
Many of you may not know this, but you can set up a VPN on your Windows 10 or Mac OS, without downloading third-party software. You do need a VPN provider for this as well, but all you need is some information to set it up. Here’s how.
For Windows 10
- Go to the Settings menu and select Network and Internet.
- Then select VPN.
- Then click the “add a VPN connection” to set up a new connection.
- You then need to fill in the information from your VPN provider – connection name (you can pick this yourself), server name or address, VPN type, password. Enter the information and click “save”.
- Once the connection is ready, you will find it on the list of available networks on your PC.
- Click on the VPN (it will appear as the Connection Name you chose), and then click “connect”.
You can add multiple VPN connections or remove a connection from the same menu.
- On your Android device, go to Settings.
- Select Network and Internet and then select Advanced
- Select VPN.
- On the top right corner, press the “+” sign or “add VPN network”.
- Then you need to fill in the details – name, type, server address. And select PPP encryption.
- Set up your username and password and “save”.
- You will then see the VPN appear on your list. Tap on it.
- Enter your username and password. You can choose to select “save account information” so you don’t have to log in every time. Here you can also select to keep it on all the time.
- Then press “connect”.
- Turn on your Wi-Fi or data and use the internet as usual.
For Mac OS
- On your Macbook, go to the Apple menu (with the logo)
- Select System Preferences, and then click Network.
- On the list at the left side, select you VPN service.
- If you find a Configuration pop-up menu, click it.
- You then have to choose a configuration – there will probably be only one available.
- Then click “connect”.
- Open your browser and use the web as usual.
How to Use Third-Party Software?
When you have found your preferred VPN service, you need to set it up on your device. Third-party software is easier to set up and use. These steps may vary a little depending on your operating system. But here are the basics:
- Connect to the internet.
- Go to the official website of your preferred VPN provider and sign up for an account.
- Download the software on your device. This will take some time. You may have to install the file once it has been downloaded. In that case, you will have to give administrator permissions. You can choose to automatically place a launch icon on your desktop.
- Open the VPN software and connect to the VPN.
- Choose your server location. The app chooses one randomly for you, but if you have a preference, you can change it.
- Open your browser and use the web as usual.
Recommended VPN Services for Australia
VPNs have become fairly common in the past few years. As a result, there are a lot of VPN providers available these days. So, you have a large variety to choose from. The most reliable ones are often paid services. Here are some of the best ones for Australia.
ExpressVPN – This is one of the most popular ones, but a little expensive. It gives you quite a fast connection and is a reliable service. It also encrypts your data and lets you choose from 160 server locations. It is compatible with the most popular operating systems and does not log your activity. One account can simultaneously be used in 5 devices.
Nord VPN – This service gives you more affordable packages. It is compatible with most operating systems and devices and does not log any activity. This is also a reliable service preferred by many users over ExpressVPN. One account lets you use the VPN on 6 devices at the same time.
CyberGhost – CyberGhost provides a secure service with 110 different server locations. It is a reliable service that has a very responsive 24-hour support team. It does not log your activity and is compatible with most devices.
IPVanish – IPVanish provides a user-friendly service with a speedy connection. It is compatible with both desktop and mobile devices and does not log any activity. Its best feature is that it can be used on 10 different devices at the same time with one account.
Hotspot Shield – This is another of the popular ones used for multiple devices. It gives you a high-speed connection and provides strong data encryption. It does not log any activity, keeping your identity secure. You get to choose from server locations in 80 countries. It is compatible with almost all operating systems.
Surfshark – Surfshark is also a secure service that provides strong data encryption. It does not log any activity and is compatible with most operating systems. You can choose their server locations in 63 countries. You can also use the same account in any number of devices as you please.
Connecting to a VPN is quite simple and is not a hassle every time you log in. If it seems so, you can always opt for it to run whenever you turn on your device. Cybersecurity is becoming more essential every day. Use a reliable and secure service – stay safe!